Q. How do I register my child in the Nashua School District?  What do I need to take with me to register?
A. Parents register each student at the neighborhood school. Please bring with you the following documents that are all required for registration:
  • birth certificate or passport
  • updated immunization record
  • most recent medical exam report from healthcare provider
  • two proofs of residency:  two different utility bills or copy of a home deed/lease agreement
Q. Is there all-day kindergarten in Nashua? Can I put my child into one of the all-day kindergarten programs?
A. Currently, five of our schools have full-day kindergarten programs: Amherst Street Elementary, Dr. Crisp Elementary, Fairgrounds Elementary, Ledge Street Elementary, and Mt. Pleasant Elementary Schools. Only children who live in those five neighborhoods may attend those all-day kindergarten programs. All other kindergarten programs are half-day programs, morning or afternoon.

Q. What is the cut-off date and age for children entering kindergarten and first grade? Can I enroll my child in kindergarten or first grade before they are age appropriate?
A. Children must be five years old on or before September 30 to enter kindergarten, and six years old on or before September 30 to enter first grade.

A child will be considered for early admission if the child will be at least five years old by October 31 of the year for which admittance is requested to kindergarten or the child will be at least six years old by October 31 of the year for which admittance is requested to first grade.  There will be no exceptions for children with birth dates beyond October 31.

Parents must have completed and returned by June 1 to the Masse School Administration Building an Early Admission Request form and a completed information packet for the child.  Both the form and the information packet may be obtained from Kerry Caldwell, Student Services, Masse School Administration Building, Nashua at (603) 966-1068.

Q. How do parents resolve problems they are having with a teacher?
A. In cases of discipline or other school matters relating to their children, parents should first share their concern with the classroom teacher.  If further discussion is needed, parents should call and make an appointment to discuss their concern with the principal.  If the principal has not resolved the concern, parents may contact Robert Cioppa, Director of Student Services, Masse School Administration Building at (603) 966-1001, for added assistance.   

Q. We’re moving out of Nashua.  Can our child continue to attend Nashua schools?
A. If a student moves from Nashua during the school year and wishes to continue attending school in Nashua, the District must be notified by the student’s parents and/or by the student if over the age of 18. If space is available, the District may allow the student to remain and the family pays tuition.  Families who do not resident in Nashua and send their children to Nashua schools, or move from Nashua but continue to send their children to Nashua schools, without notifying the District and receiving written approval will be charged tuition for the period of time in question and may face appropriate civil and criminal sanctions, including, but not limited to, complaints for theft of services.

Q. Which is the best school?
A. We do not rank our schools; however, the District's website reports on assessment results.  Also, the New Hampshire Department of Education publishes online test score data.  

Q. How can I find out about before- and after-school programs?
A. Through a 21st Century Community Learning Centers grant, the District offers unique, extended school day academic and enrichment courses throughout the school year for students in grades 1 to 5 at Amherst St. Elementary, Dr. Crisp Elementary, Fairgrounds Elementary, Ledge Street Elementary, and Mt. Pleasant Elementary Schools, as well as students at Elm Street Middle, Fairgrounds Middle, and Pennichuck Middle Schools.

Q. Can my child attend a Nashua school different from the neighborhood school?
Children attend their neighborhood school. The Nashua School District offers parents the opportunity to request that their child be allowed to stay at the school in which they began the school year. If class size, student discipline, and poor attendance are not concerns, the District may grant an attendance variance with the provision that the parent provide transportation to and from school each day. An attendance variance request form may be obtained either at an elementary school, middle school, or at the Masse School Administration Building, 141 Ledge Street, Nashua.

A waiver between Nashua High School North and Nashua High School South is possible for students whose families have moved between the two schools during the school year. Please complete a waiver request form, and send to Kerry Caldwell, Student Services, Masse School Administration Building, 141 Ledge Street, Nashua.

Q. Where are students’ records kept after a student leaves the Nashua School District?
A. The Nashua School District maintains a permanent record for all students. A record of attendance and assessment accompanies the child as he or she progresses through school until graduation.  Records are then kept at the attending high school:  a cumulative file for each student is maintained for three years from the date of graduation, and a cumulative file for each special education student is maintained for six years after graduation or program completion.

Q. I want to home school my child. How do I register my child for home schooling?
A. Please complete a home education form, and submit the completed form to Kerry Caldwell, Student Services, Masse School Administration Building, 141 Ledge Street, Nashua.